Distance: 3.2m. Allow 1.5 hrs. This is a gentle stroll.
This walk starts at the St Nicholas’ church which is easily found at the top of the High St. Plentiful free car parking is available in the town in either The Bulls Head Yard car park (careful! part of this car park belongs to Waitrose and parking time is strictly limited) or in Bleachfield St Car Park behind The Swan Hotel.
- Walk down High St towards Lloyds Bank noting the fine hostelries waiting you on your return.
- At the cross roads continue down Bleachfield St. Turn right into Newport Dr and shortly, right again into Birch Abbey.
- Continue until you reach Evesham St, cross the road and follow the pavement left. You will Find Lion Tuery on your right. Follow it until you reach the junction of Seggs Lane and Cross Rd. Follow Cross Rd until you reach Priory Rd. Then turn left and immediately left again into Station Rd.
- Passing Minerva Mill on your right, reputedly, the largest building in town, Follow Station Rd past the old station buildings on your left.
- Follow the walkway on your left and continue to the cross roads at which you turn right. Emerging onto Birmingham Rd, cross carefully and turn left following the pavement away from town.
- On your right after a short distance, join the footpath to the right. This drops down a bank and proceeds through a tree-lined tunnel. It is the course of an old railway line. Cross the river and turn immediately right. The footpath follows the river for about half a mile across Conway Fields. Stick to the path and you will eventually emerge at The Greig Leisure Centre. Continue to the road; cross it carefully and turn right over the river bridge towards the town centre.
- Keeping to the left continue towards the town centre. Note the Town Hall on the right. At the point where the road turns sharp right follow the walkway. This is the picturesque and historic Malt Mill Lane part of which goes back to Medieval times. You will see the close proximity of the church here so if you wish to bail out now is the time. Otherwise continue down Malt Mill Lane until you reach a park on the left. Follow the path across the park and then carefully cross Stratford Rd.
- Follow the lane towards Oversley Green crossing the river on a bridge that dates back to Tudor times. This is the lovely village of Oversley Green. Now turn right into Mill Lane. Take some time to browse the local library housed in the old phone box.
- Continue along Mill Lane out of the village. The River Arrow will join you on the right. After a quarter of a mile or so you will come across a row of static caravans on the right. Look carefully between them and you will find a footpath down the bank. Follow it back over the river via a footbridge. Keep going past the playground. You will emerge into a road. This is Bleachfield St. Follow it to return to The High St and the finish line.